Fear is a tricky thing.
It can be helpful, for example, if you're walking alone through a dark alley — your fear can protect you by telling you to keep your guard up.
On the other hand, fear can also be crippling — the opportunities we don't seize, the experiences we're hesitant to try out, and the stronger, better person we fail to become.
Whether it's fear of the unknown, fear of failure, or fear of success, overcoming our fears is one of the most important steps to personal development.
For this reason, it's best to get as much help as we can, even from simple inspirational quotes from time to time.
Below are 55 quotes on overcoming fear.
Personally, my favorite is #25. What's yours? Share it in the comments below.
01. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold. -Helen Keller
02. Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once. -William Shakespeare
03. Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success. -Dale Carnegie
04. Do not be afraid to give up the good to go for the great. -John Rockefeller
05. Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out. -Benjamin Franklin
06. Do one thing every day that scares you. -Eleanor Roosevelt
07. Each of us must confront our own fears, must come face to face with them. How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. To experience adventure or to be limited by the fear of it. -Judy Blume
08. Everything you want is on the other side of fear. -Jack Canfield
09. Extreme fear can neither fight nor fly. -William Shakespeare
10. Failure doesn't mean you are a failure; it just means you haven't succeeded yet. -Robert H. Schuller
11. Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street. -Zig Ziglar
12. Fear has its use, but cowardice has none. -Gandhi
13. Fear is only as deep as the mind allows. -Japanese Proverb
14. Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom. -Bertrand Russell
15. Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. -Yoda
16. Fears are nothing more than a state of mind. -Napoleon Hill
17. Feel the fear and do it anyway. -Susan Jeffers
18. Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it. -Salvador Dali
19. He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
20. I failed my way to success. -Thomas Edison
21. I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear. -Rosa Parks
22. I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. -Nelson Mandela
23. If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. -Marcus Aurelius
24. In skating over thin ice our safety is in our speed. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
25. Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy. -Dale Carnegie
26. It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. -Theodore Roosevelt
27. Men are not afraid of things, but of how they view them. -Epictetus
28. Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure. -Napoleon Hill
29. My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure. -Abraham Lincoln
30. Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game. -Babe Ruth
31. No man is a failure who is enjoying life. -William Feather
32. Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. -Marie Curie
33. One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn’t do. -Henry Ford
34. Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter. -Francis Chan
35. Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Confucius
36. People living deeply have no fear of death. -Anais Nin
37. Remember your dreams and fight for them. You must know what you want from life. There is just one thing that makes your dream become impossible: the fear of failure. -Paulo Coelho
38. Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
39. The enemy is fear. We think it is hate; but it is fear. -Gandhi
40. The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one. -Elbert Hubbard
41. There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance…Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life. -John Lennon
42. There is no failure except in no longer trying. -Elbert Hubbard
43. There is no illusion greater than fear. -Lao Tzu
44. Thinking will not overcome fear but action will. -W. Clement Stone
45. To fear is one thing. To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around is another. -Katherine Paterson
46. Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears. -Les Brown
47. Try a thing you haven’t done three times. Once, to get over the fear of doing it. Twice, to learn how to do it. And a third time to figure out whether you like it or not. -Virgil Thomson
48. Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is freedom. -Mary Ferguson
49. We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets. -Marilyn Monroe
50. What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything? -Vincent van Gogh
51. When you are afraid, do the thing you are afraid of and soon you will lose your fear of it. -Norman Vincent Peale
52. Where fear is, happiness is not. - Seneca
53. You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. -Dale Carnegie
54. You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt
55. You miss 100% of the shots you didn't take. -Wayne Gretzky
Share below: What's your #1 fear that has been holding you back lately? Why is it important for you to overcome this? Which is your favorite quote on overcoming fear?